Monday, October 15, 2012

Halloween

Hi all,

I am so excited to present my first project as a DT member of the Dream Valley Challenge Blog. Challenge 43 is Halloween.

We don't celebrate Halloween in Australia, although stores are steadily starting to stock the usual paraphernalia that accompanies the occasion. So this challenge did, in fact, challenge me which was great! I was able to put to use some characters/shapes on my Cricut cartridges, and try some new techniques.

I decided to make a tag rather than a card, as I don't really think Halloween is the kind of 'holiday' that really necessitates a card (but that's just me!)



I cut the tag from the Wrap it Up Cartridge using manilla cardstock that I had left over for my hubby's 30th birthday party invites (It is a Mission: Impossible theme with little dossiers as the invite!), so I have a heap of these left over.


The faux aged leather background is made using a technique I learnt from Split coast Stampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/faux_leather_with_masking_tape/). I used Antique Linen, Forest Moss, Dusty Concord and Black Soot Distress Inks to ink up the tape, which I then coated in clear embossing powder. I did find the embossing powder flaked a little, but it added to the spooky feel of the tag!

 I used some...I'm not sure what it's called!....white mesh in the background which I accordion-folded and round the edges to make them uneven.

 The flower is cut from the Mother's Day bouquet cartridge, which I layered, embellished with silver/purple ink and silver stickles with a black multifaceted bead as a centre. The spiders were cut from the Wrap It Up cartridge and were embossed with Wow Neutral Ultra Shimmer embossing powder. The curly flourishes are from the Storybook Cricut cartridge. The "boo" and the bat were originally joined, from the Wrap It Up Cricut cartridge, but I separated them and embossed them with black embossing powder. It was the first time I've ever used it, and I must say, it looks amazing!

 The little vampire girl is from A Day for Daisies, a freebie that I found at the blog hop (I was too late for it!) I've coloured her with distress inks, and embellished her with glossy accents, forest moss and silver stickles. I also used 3mm flat backed rhinestones to embellish the flourishes.

I will be entering this gem into:

That's all for now, but be sure to head over the Dream Valley Challenge Blog to see what the other wonderful DT's have for you!

17 comments:

  1. Oh that is a cute tag. Thank you for joining us this week at Creative Craft Challenge. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really fabulous Louise, you really captured the Halloween spirit perfectly.

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous tag, love the faux leather background and the mesh, they enhance the spookiness of the tag. Thanks for joining us at Lexi's Creations for our "Halloween' challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous tag - amazing details - especially love the mesh.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Allsorts this week.
    Good luck.
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tag, thank you for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Louise. Such a fab little tag. Love all the detail on there. Thanks for sharing at Lexi's Creatioons.
    Love Sandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Louise, just love all the detail. Thank you for joining us at Allsorts this week x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, fabulous paper piecing!
    Many thanks for joining in the
    ♥Cute Card Thursday Challenge♥
    this week! Debxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful. I love the image and all your detailing looks fabulous

    Thank you for taking part in the Stampin' for the Weekend Challenge

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous tag! I love the textures. So many wonderful elements all coming into play to help create a wonderful finished product! Well done! Thanks for joining us at Hooked on Craft!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tag...

    Thank you for joining us at Gem of a challenge & good luck :)
    hugs and xxx
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi hun! Your card is too cute! Thanks for sharing it with us at Deep Ocean for our Anything goes challenge :)

    Hugs, Franz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous Tag! Thanks for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity this week hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Halloween tag, it's absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment. Good luck in all your challenges :)
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous creation!

    Thank you for joining in the fun at Sparkles Monthly Challenges for our * Halloween * challenge

    Hope you will join us again & good luck in the draw
    Hugs Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a stunning card. So lovely design. I like the softness of colors and that image is so cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness..this is BEAUTIFUL!!! Love all of the details you added to this!!!

    ReplyDelete